Fancy a raw cherry ripe that tastes just as good, if not better than the original? Here is Donna Hay’s all natural, unprocessed and no-bake version. Featured in her Fresh and Light magazine, this guilt-free dessert is jam packed with wholesome, nutritious ingredients making it perfect for an indulgent after dinner treat or afternoon snack.
- 6 fresh dates, pitted
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconu
- ⅓ cup (80ml) melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1½ cups (210g) fresh cherries, pitted (frozen also works)
- 100g raw organic 70% dark chocolate, melted coconut base
- 1 cup (150g) cashews
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- To make the base, place the cashews, coconut and rice malt syrup in a food processor and process for 1–2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl until the mixture starts to come together.
- Press the mixture into the base of a lightly greased 20cm x 20cm baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- Place the dates, coconut, coconut oil and vanilla in a food processor and process for 1 minute or until the mixture starts to come together. Add the cherries and process for a further 30 seconds or until the mixture is just combined.
- Pour the coconut mixture over the base and use a palette knife to spread evenly. Refrigerate for a further 30–40 minutes or until firm.
- Pour over the chocolate, smooth the top with a palette knife and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Slice using a hot knife and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.